Monday, February 20, 2012

Lets talk about Fifeshire......... Anyone with ancestors from there?

One of my most ancestors per counties in Scotland is Fifeshire.  They are mostly on the eastern half.  It seems you name a village and there they are.  Of course, for those that don't do genealogy, Fifeshire brings to mind St. Andrew's.  Yes, there is more to Fife than St. Andrew's. 

For those just starting out.............  I would advise your first stop to be Genuki -Fife at http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/sct/FIF   This site starts out with location of parishes or "Where in Fife is....".  Wonderful!  You can spend days just going through all that is available to better your family history.  I like more than just names, dates and places.  I want to see where my people lived and what they did for a living, what it was like, etc......  Don't you!  Check it out and let me know what you think.

Scotland Peoples Centre is a next stop.  It is a pay to use site, but you are able to get your certificate or a just as good copy of for a small price.  You can actually get your Birth, Marriage, Death records since 1855, census returns 1841-1911, Church of Scotland parish registers pre-1855, wills and testaments.  You can reach this by going to http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/, set up an account and off you go.  It is a safe, secure way to obtain your information.  I've used it multiple times and have had no issues with the banking system. 

This should get you started for now, more later. 

Happy Hunting!  Please let me know where in Fife you are searching........  we might just be cousins


Have you looked at the Fife Family History Society Blog?  There is a wealth of information to be found there.  I was totally impressed.  I spent a few hours just double checking to see if there was any "new" stuff pertinent to my research.  Give it a look:
 http://fifefamilyhistorysociety.blogspot.com/p/transcriptions-service.html

No comments:

Post a Comment