Friday, February 10, 2012

Grandfather William Thomson dies at Rothesay, Bute, Scotland on June 1920........ found in Sandymount Cemetery Glasgow.

So, I've been telling you about my travels through the microfilm and the parish records etc.  Sometimes you get that feeling like " I just gotta do...... " and you do it and find something worthwhile.  It happened again today.  I have been looking for my great grandfather who was a Glasgow retired Detective Sergeant that passed away while on vacation with the family in Rothesy.  My grandmother, his youngest daughter, told me the story of them being on vacation and her father after golfing, not feeling well and then dying whilst on the trip.  She could not tell me where he was buried and I've been looking for years, she passed away back in 1997- so i'ts been awhile.  Last year my mother's cousin gave me the clue that William had been brought back to Glasgow, because she remembered my grandmother telling her along time ago of the ferry ride back to Glasgow with her father in the box and some man sitting on the box, apparently grandma told the man to please get off her father, she was only 12 years at the time.  
Glasgow archives had told me they didn't have records back years ago, I had just sent out another email to have it returned as "out of the office".  Anyway, I had to wait for three films to come out of the vault, I had been delving into the Wright side of the tree, and those three films were calling me, so after lunch today I just picked one and found 1920 and it was very nicely put together, there on the list was William Thomson age 60 died in Rothesay.................  yeah I now have a location, lair in Scottish terms, to find someone or go myself someday to visit and pay my respects and of course that photo op.


So how is your research going?



Searching for:
SIMPSON's, FORBES, HUSBAND, WISE, ANDERSONE, GOWANS, IRELAND, ROLLO, ROBERTSON, DUNCAN, AUCHTERLOINE, TAYLOR AND JAMISON 

No comments:

Post a Comment